Meatball subs are a comfort food that can easily be made a fat fueled lunch with left-over chicken meatballs 🙌🏻
You can use any fat-fueled approved bread swap but this time we decided to use almond flour tortillas 🌮
Unbun also makes a great baguette which would be well suited for a real “sub”!
To make this family comfort food, gather up:
1) base of your choice, in our case these were grain free almond flour tortillas but any bread swap will work 🥖
2) your favorite meatballs 🍗
3) tomato marinara, we used Raos Homemade which is free of whacky vegetable oils 🥫
4) a handful of greens 🥬 we used arugula and basil 😋
5) a fat fueled topping like olives or raw cheese (if you can tolerate dairy protein) 🫒🧀
I’m pretty sure avocado slices would be a yummy addition as well 🥑
Start by heating up your individual components, you can heat up the tortillas in the microwave, oven or in a pan with some grass fed cultured ghee 🧈
Other breads can be toasted, maybe smear on some grass-fed butter for a boost of healthy fat and fat soluble vitamins (especially K2)!
Next, Start assembling your sub by topping each tortilla with a few meatballs and a scoop of sauce! If you’re planning to use some cheese, now would be the time to sprinkle that on so it can melt 😋
Lastly, throw on a handful of greens for a micronutrient and fiber boost ! We chose basil and arugula and threw some olives on the side for some extra healthy fat 🙌🏻